Friday, March 13, 2009

Rule #1: No throwing sand

On Sunday we went over to my parent's for the monthly birthday get-together. It's every 2nd Sunday of the month and we usually have a fun theme. We've done Mexican food, BBQ, and this month's was picnic food.
This month we were celebrating Bruce's & my niece, Kelsey's birthdays. With this picnic theme, our spread included:
Appetizers -- a type of cream cheese dip and a goat cheese & sundried tomatoes dip.
Main meal --brisquet, which I thought had good flavor, beans, potato salad, and strawberry/spinach salad (the dressing was WAY yummy!).
Dessert -- WAY yummy ice cream cake that had layers of butter pecan and pralines and cream ice cream with caramel drizzled all over (makes your mouth water, doesn't it) -- THANK YOU, Megan, you always do the best cakes!

Well, this post isn't all about the food! It's all about the drama!
THE CULPRIT: Breanna
THE VICTIM: Sarah
The girls were playing on my parent's playground when Breanna got mad at Sarah and threw sand in her eye. I must say she made a really good shot because her eye was filled with little bits of sand. It was really hard to wash out and I thought we got most of it out.

Move to Tuesday night -- bath night. I'm washing Sarah's hair and soap gets into her eye. Yep, the sand eye. She screams at the top of her lungs. I'm thinking -- this is children's shampoo, it's not supposed to hurt when it gets in their eyes. I get her out of the tub and pass her on to Bruce to try and calm her down. She decides to immediately go to bed. We figured the sand must of scratched her eye.

Wednesday morning -- Sarah can't open her eye due to all the infection that formed overnight. I decided to take her into the nurse practioner. It's really neat how they see if the eye has been scratched. The nurse put some dye in her eye that makes her eye turn yellow.

Then, she hold up an ultraviolet light and has her look in different areas of the room to see if we can see a scratch.





The result -- she had a small scratch on the left side. The nurse said that your eye cells are the fastest growing in the body and the scratch should heal by the next day. She wanted us to come in again to make sure. So, she sent us home with antibiotic eye drops, plus a cool trick to put them in. Sure enough, the next day the scratch had mostly healed.
Lesson learned -- Don't mess with Breanna when she's playing in the sand!


3 comments:

paula said...

Sign that girl up for softbal if her throw is so accurate. Sorry Sarah had to suffer, eyes can sting bad. Neat Halloween trick:)

Mels said...

Boy that is one funky eye:) I'd image it had to be a bit painful. Hope all is well soon.

Christy said...

Wow. Scary looking pictures, but oh so sad. Good for her for being patient during the process and letting you take pictures!